Tuesday 16 September 2008

Idle Hands


It’s a Monday evening. I sitting here in my bedroom, listening to my favourite songs on the PC, and – if I’m being perfectly honest with you – this is the most tranquil I’ve been in months. It’s pleasing to feel completely relaxed for once. The hectic ropes of life have chosen to loosen their grip on my wrists; the relief is heavenly.

Yet with tranquillity comes boredom. My mind’s focus shifted from fixation upon a bowl I’ve had lying in my room for a few days (I can be quite slovenly at times) to anxiety concerning a fly buzzing around my room. The number of activities I have at my disposal is very limited.

Fine, I do hear you. Most likely there is something productive I could and should be getting on with, but partial fatigue has set in, which has left me feeling rather lethargic. I don’t work well when I’m lethargic. Never have done, and never will. It means I procrastinate an awful lot (which is why I’m finishing an article referring to Monday night on a Tuesday morning).

It’s always the small things that throw off my concentration, or send me into one of my happy or sad moods. I don’t do “peaceful” too often. If I can keep myself preoccupied with something, my mood will be raised – as will my energy levels. If I’m calm – and there’s not a thing I can indulge myself in – that peace turns to boredom, which escalates to mild unhappiness.

I’m perfectly fine if I don’t myself time to stop and think about something. It’s those moments of that place you in empty surroundings which I can’t stand. I tell you, it’s progressing to that stage this very instant.

And there isn’t a whole lot I can do. The silence is deafening.

In fact, I’m not even enjoying writing this article. Not one bit. My creative skills have plummeted temporarily.

Catch you on the flipside.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! I can totally relate to that! I find having nothing to do leads to boredom and unhapiness, and that unhapiness leads to the unwillingess to do anything which leads to boredom..and so forth. 'Tis a vicious cycle!

thew said...

sort out your ipod. its a bloody endless task for me...