Sunday 3 August 2008

Fiveplay: #1

Here at TMROADY, I like to share with you titbits of information about whatever catches my eye and interests me. Now, I’m going to involve you more with my love of music. The “Fiveplay” series will introduce you to songs I deem worthy of a listen at that current moment in time, or ones I’ve enjoyed listening to for much longer than that. I know; this sounds a little too banal for an ambitious blog writer, and tends to be something a tired writer falls back on when fresh out of ideas. In the end, you can make that final judgement. Meanwhile, I'll write a few of these every now and then.

This first issue includes: Klaxons, UNKLE, Feeder, Kate Havnevik and Red Hot Chili Peppers.


1. Trick Or Treatz (Klaxons Vocal-Mix)- Metronomy

If you’re wondering who Metronomy are, so am I. In fact, you should be wondering who Metronomy is. A fairly unknown, typically electropop English artist, working sporadically as a remixer, created Trick Or Treatz in 2006. The following year, Klaxons, accredited with a number of remixes of their own by then, chose to replace Virginia Lipinski's vocals with there own. The original song had a “Klaxon-esque” sound to it anyway, so a voice transformation is not out of place. Hypnotic (in places) guitars and deep elongation on the title words of the chorus, and the end of each verse make for sinister undertones, but the swaying motion and foot movement that snares you reminds you well of Klaxons’ missing album tracks (Electrickery); you could be mistaken for thinking they produced this themselves. One thing missing: Righton’s falsetto vocals.

Rating: ****


2. No One Knows (UNKLE Reconstruction)- Queens Of The Stone Age

I originally heard this back in 2003, on the in-game soundtrack of SSX3 (snowboarding game by EA’s Sports BIG division, for PS2). Sadly, I believe it was down licensing issues that meant it – and the majority of the other available tracks in the game – was not present in the official soundtrack release. For 5 years, this song was lost to me, it had ventured into the musical wilderness, as I had forgotten its title, and confused its content with that of another song; Deepsky’s Ride (not bad itself). That is until the middle of last month, when I accidentally stumbled across it, previewing a set of “missing” SSX3 tracks. Turns out it had gone into hiding on one of UNKLE’s rare EPs: Where The Wild Things Are. Summarising, the track was perfectly suited to being riding music within SSX3. Outside of that, I feel it’s an “energy booster”; recharging your circuits when it's plugging your ears for 8 and half minutes. Reminiscent of drum and bass for the most part.

Rating: ****


3. Shatter- Feeder

Heavy bass guitar, coupled with a moderate use of electronic sounds, transitional echoes and simple, effective lyrics (the hallmark of a lead vocalist who possesses a distinguished, pleasant singing voice, and Grant Nicholas can claim to hold this enviable quality); Shatter is everything I want it to be. Even the name is reflected implicitly in the song, which is a trait I admire whenever put into practice. Released (albeit not being radio-friendly) on the band’s greatest hits compilation album of 2005- the no-nonsense The Singles – it saw a return to Feeder’s traditional sound covered in Echo Park; lying at the heavier end of the poppy-rock spectrum (however, they are not pop rockers). There’s nothing I dislike about this song. It has withstood the test of time and, in my eyes, personifies perfection.

Rating: *****


4. Unlike Me- Kate Havnevik

Featuring on Grey’s Anatomy first brought this song to public attention. A song falling firmly into the category of electronica, partial links have been forged between this and Hide And Seek by Imogen Heap. I tend to listen more to the latter, possibly because I prefer the voice distortion involved. But that’s not me complaining about Unlike Me. Havnevik has an easy-to-listen-to voice, with a strange soothing atmosphere seeps out into the open air from behind her. Could have developed a better climax towards the end.

Rating: ***


5. Under The Bridge- Red Hot Chili Peppers

No “Fiveplay” playlist would truly be complete without the inclusion, or reference to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. This was the song that initially seduced me to their music; a relationship that has gone on from strength to strength for many a month now, becoming an integral part to my Art AS level coursework at one point. And it was all down to that opening guitar riff by John Frusciante. Had I not felt underwhelmed by the rest of the song, this would have easily obtained 5 stars. I wish they’d just repeated that riff one more time, somewhere near the end.

Rating: ****

No comments: