Friday 11 July 2008

Uni-fied


The end of the normal school term is nearly upon us. Many schoolchildren will be taking part in their final lessons of the educational year about this time tomorrow, next week or the week following that. Some of the lucky ones have already departed those dreaded school gates – textbooks not in tow – with the view of spending a care-free summer away with their families and friends.

There are, however, a few whose summers most definitely should not, and therefore for the sake of brutal encouragement, will not be filled with personal enjoyment. I am making particular reference to those students wrapping up their Year 12 studies; the prospect of a final year of exams before higher education, intertwined with summarising their entire life achievements (and relevant interests to the courses they wish to study at university) into one essay of approximately 500 words. And I haven’t even mentioned the mad panic that arises between now, and results day next month; the need to make frequent visits to open days, and partake in campus tours; dealing with the search for work experience and part-time working posts to fund these studies; and, of course, the stress that is bound to affect you when you realise you’re soon going to be out of close proximity with your comfortable groups of friends. And inevitably, there are going to be some people with whom you may be fairly well-acquainted that you know you’ll never see again.

Depending on how mentally tough you are – and how proactive you can force yourself to be – the amount of problems that these thoughts can cause must vary greatly. The stronger (mentally) and more determined a person you are, the less hassle brought about. The weaker and lazier will soon discover that they have an Everest to climb.

Personally, I am more inclined to place myself in the second category of people. I know full well that if I don’t act early, must-do tasks will pile up on me in an instant until eventually I give up completely.

So, I’m swearing an oath to myself. “Work hard, and never forget your goals”. Obviously, it is a lot easier to say something of that sort than it is to put it into practice. The journey will be a long and hard one. But I’m preparing myself for the exciting journey that lies ahead. I’ve been on one campus tour, and to one open day so far, and have many more already booked. I’m quite excited about starting university in 2009, and leaving home for the first time. The issue with losing contact with friends…well, that’s down to me making the effort to meet up and talk occasionally as much as it is up to them. I made mistakes when I left primary school and hope that I don’t make the same ones again.

No comments: